So, I am not going to bore you with all of the details of the past week, the long hours of staring at engine parts and wires, the constant rain, the many trips to Fronteras, the fruitless Internet searches, the crying, the praying, the head beating, the hair pulling, and the bleeding.
So here is a recap of the week's activities:
Port Engine: This engine I could not even jump at the solenoid, so I removed the starter and solenoid. After cleaning both, I applied 12Vs to the starter, and it barely turned over. We then tried the same thing with the starboard battery, and the starter jumped to life! Really, this whole time the battery was the problem! The battery showed 12.5 volts, which I had checked at the very beginning, but when a load was applied, it dropped to about 1 volt, not enough to start the engine. So off to Chiqui's Tienda for a replacement. After dropping $200, Yikes, for a new battery and installing the starter back in the engine, and connecting all of the wires, we had a running engine! Yippee, one engine fixed! The mood on MokaKat was improving, even with the rain.
Starboard Engine: This engine I could start by jumping the solenoid, so the starter and solenoid were good. I then did some trouble shooting from the key switch to the solenoid, and discovered that the relay that I didn't know was installed on these motors, was actually bad. I installed new wire spade connectors and installed the new (automobile style) relay, and presto, the engine started! After two weeks, we finally have both engines running again!!!
Wow, it sounds too easy in the recap. I also cleaned up all of the battery connections, soldered any twisted wire connections, and clean the engine rooms! I also replaced air filters and checked all belts! I actually feel better about my engines, as I have learned a lot in the past week. I was asked by several people why I didn't just hire a mechanic to come and fix the engines. Well, I would have at some point, but I needed and wanted to figure it out myself, if possible. Yes, it was harder, but the knowledge that I learned will pay off in the future when I am somewhere more remote and maybe my boat would be in danger. I now feel more confident that I can start the engines in most situations, or at least determine where the issue is! That was the result of my education last week!
The 'Fun to Suck Meter' is starting to swing back to the fun side!!!!